Diridon Integrated Station Concept Plan
Click a topic below to expand and read more.
+ What is the Diridon Integrated Station Concept Plan (Concept Plan)?
Electrified Caltrain, BART, and High-Speed Rail service will add to the trains, buses, and light rail that currently serve San José Diridon Station. The City of San José has also adopted plans for substantial transit-oriented development near the station, which would bring thousands of new jobs and residents to the area. With these changes, Diridon Station is poised to become one of the busiest intermodal stations on the West Coast. The California High-Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA), Caltrain, Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA), and the City of San José (Partner Agencies) are working together on a plan to expand and redesign Diridon Station. The goal is to develop a world-class center of transit and public life that provides smooth connections between modes and integration with the surrounding neighborhoods.
+ Upcoming Events and Other News
The Partner Agencies will provide brief updates on the Concept Plan at the following meetings:
- February 5, 1:30pm: City of San Jose City Council
- February 7, 10:00am: Caltrain Board of Directors
- February 7, 5:30pm: VTA Board of Directors
+ How can I get involved?
The Partner Agencies have prepared an Outreach Strategy to:
- Inform and educate the public about the project and decision-making process
- Encourage active public participation by a broad range of the community
- Gather feedback for the Partner Agencies to consider during preparation of the Concept Plan
- Foster a sense of pride and collective ownership in the ultimate vision for the station established by the Concept Plan
The Partner Agencies are preparing for the next round of outreach to share progress on the Concept Plan and get feedback. Engagement activities are anticipated to include a community meeting, online feedback tools, pop-ups, stakeholder presentations, and conversations with transit riders.
Stay tuned! Sign up here to receive email updates.
+ What public engagement activities have been completed so far?
As part of the initial round of outreach on the Concept Plan, the Partner Agencies:
- Presented to the City’s Diridon Station Area Advisory Group (SAAG) on Oct. 18, 2018 (Click here to go to SAAG meeting page).
- Held a Community Kick-off Meeting on Dec. 10, 2018
- Supported SJSU Master’s of Urban Planning capstone class project on Diridon Station, which included focus groups of community leaders and an interactive event on Dec. 1, 2018
On January 31, 2019, the Partner Agencies presented an update on the Concept Plan to the Diridon Station Joint Policy Advisory Board, an advisory committee administered by VTA. The agenda, staff memo, comment letters, and powerpoint are available here: JPAB Update on the Concept Plan (January 2019).
+ What will the Concept Plan include?
The Concept Plan will include two components: 1) a spatial configuration that shows how the various track and station elements will fit together and relate to the surrounding neighborhood 2) a governing structure to effectively deliver the shared vision for the station and operate it over the long-term. The Concept Plan will primarily address the station and its interface with the urban fabric. The major elements include the:
- tracks and platform configuration;
- station location and layout;
- access to the station by various transportation options (such as walking and bus);
- integration with the surrounding area; and
- passenger flows to, from, and through the station.
The Concept Plan will focus on the functionality of the station, rather than its architectural appearance. Later phases of work will include detailed design and engineering, as well as environmental review. The Concept Plan is not planning for the specific land uses or buildings in the area; however, the City of San José will conduct separate engagement activities related to future development.
+ How can I learn more about the Concept Plan and Related Projects?
- Fact Sheet
- Video of the presentation to the City’s SAAG on October 18th
- Preliminary Vision and Key Objectives for the Concept Plan handout
- What we heard from Previous Efforts handout: This document summarizes previous planning efforts and the most relevant input received during the City’s 2018 civic engagement process on the Diridon Station Area.
The Partner Agencies will provide an update on the Concept Plan to VTA’s Diridon Station Joint Policy Advisory Board on January 31. See details under + Upcoming Events and Other News